How do you choose the suppliers you work with?

At Scrumbles we hold ourselves as a company and as individuals to the highest standards of ethical business conduct and are a certified B Corp. We work to create mutually beneficial business relationships with diverse suppliers that help create a better world around us. Our supplier diversity policy’s primary goal is to give preference to suppliers owned by women, minorities or other underrepresented populations where they fulfil our purchasing requirements. Sign up to our newsletter to receive our annual report tracking our performance on this and other goals.

What’s your environmental policy?

We are committed to helping the world around us and thoughtful about our impact choosing only to work with suppliers that share our ethos.

How our food is made: We’re mindful of recycling when manufacturing our food and chose our manufacturing partner thoughtfully. The plant reaches a 98% total recycling figure with aims to further reduce the remaining 2% of waste sent to landfill.

How we work: Our office is mobile with our mindful approach travelling with us. We operate paperlessly with the few bits that are printed on recycled paper. 99% of all our deliveries are via earth friendly DHL and pedals with the final 1% moving across shortly! When we travel, we mainly stick to public transport.

When choosing the packaging for our food, we were overwhelmed by the amount of plastic in the market. We saw that a few paper bags existed but found that these compromised on the quality of the food. E.g. where there are high meat contents the lack of moisture barrier can cause the food to go rancid, which would not a happy cat or dog make! Our bags are packaged in a paper/plastic mix with a minimal layer of plastic to maintain freshness. We’re working closely with our lovely packaging suppliers to develop an earth friendly alternative that doesn’t compromise on the quality of the food. Watch this space as an exciting alternative will shortly be available that still allows us to give you yummy good food.

We’re naturally curious and constantly evolving our thinking to see how we can make further improvements.

Do you test on animals?

As animal lovers, we don’t participate in any invasive animal testing and we hope to encourage others to do the same.

Our recipes are designed to put cats and dogs first and come with approval from Smudge, Boo and a few of their furriends, who have taste tested in the comfort of their own home with us.

We include meat in our foods as this is critical to deliver optimal nutrition for cats and dogs. For example, cats are obligate carnivores and need meat protein. The nutritional requirements for cats and dogs make vegetarian and vegan diets inappropriate.

Our ultimutt dream is for the clean meat movement to become accessible for cats and dogs.

Does Scrumbles work with Charities?

We’re a proud B Corp and donate 1% of our sales towards environemental and social causes to help those who need us most. We work closely with the wonderful people at All Dogs Matter and The Cat Welfare Group feeding their floofsters and raising awareness and funds to support the great work they do. Please check them out!

What’s your animal welfare policy?

As animal lovers, animal welfare is close to our hearts. We test all of our recipes on our family pets, Smudge and Boo and then share it with select friends and family before signing off. Scrumbles are listed on the PETA website for “Non-Animal tested Companion Animal Food”

We’re also members of the Pet Industry Federation (PIF) a leading trade organisation which monitors and influences animal welfare within the industry.

We’re keen to guarantee adventures for many more generations of cats and dogs and as well as treading more lightly on the planet, we work with key charity partners to help us achieve this like All Dogs Matter.

A lot of our products contain meat and we’re conscious about the meat we use. Our recent life cycle assessment showed that animal agriculture has the greatest environmental impact. In order to get the full spectrum of amino acids, cats and dogs need animal protein but there are efforts to minimise our impact here. We use human grade ingredients as part of our raw materials which are surplus to the human food chain due to commercial reasons. We try to source all of our meats from the UK – our range of wet dog food is all British meat and we’re working to solely source British meat for our range of dry cat and dog food as well. All the meat we use is free run rather than from caged animals and comply with the European Convention for the Protection of Animals kept for Farming Purposes to ensure high animal welfare standards.