Alright, fellow pooch lovers, get ready to dive into the world of Border Collies! These beautiful pooches have the brains to match, so let's find out everything you need to know to be hooman or fwend to one. We'll go through everything from their origins to their paw-some personalities, and of course, how Scrumbles has the perfect chow to keep these clever canines at their best!
Border Collie Basics
Average Lifespan: 12- 15 years
Average Weight: 12-20 Kilograms
Average Height: 46cm- 56cm
Colouring: Luscious coat that comes in a variety of colours mostly black and white, red and white, or tri-colour.
Trainability: Extremely easy to train
Exercise Needs: 2-3 hours per day.
Shedding: Moderate to heavy.
Origins of Border Collie
Legend has it that these brainiacs originated along the border of Scotland and England (hence the name!). Bred for herding sheep, their innate herding instincts are deeply ingrained. These canny canines were valued for their ability to outthink the livestock they worked with.
What do Border Collies Look like?
Picture a sleek, athletic physique covered in a luscious coat that comes in a variety of colours like black and white, red and white, or tri-colour. Their keen, expressive eyes seem to convey an entire spectrum of emotions, and those trademark pricked ears are always tuned in, ready for action!
Border Collie Personality
Get ready for an adventure with these livewire pups! – they live for mental stimulation and have an unmatched work ethic. They're not just brainy; they're also affectionate and fiercely loyal to their human pack.
Is Border Collie a High Maintenance Dog?
Now, while these brainy beauties aren't high maintenance in terms of grooming, they do require a considerable amount of mental and physical exercise. They thrive on challenges and need an outlet for their boundless energy, so keep those brains and bodies busy!
Here are some of our top tips for enrichment games to keep their brains as busy as their body:
- Homemade puzzles -> Hide one of their favourite meaty dog treats under a cup, with two other decoys, move them around and then get your pooch to guess correctly.
- Fetch - It's an oldie, but it's a goldie. Border Collie's are exceptional at chasing down that ball or stick, so much so you might want to invest in an automatic dog ball launcher.
- Tug of war- Grab a piece of rope and Tug away with your energetic pooch. This will certainly tire them out and give you a bit of rest.
- Hide and seek- Go run and hide and watch these incredible brainiacs find you.
Border Collie Feeding Requirements
Whilst Border Collie's don't have any specific nutritional needs, fuelling their active lifestyles requires a top-notch diet! They require all the core nutrients that any pooch needs to thrive, think high-quality proteins, vitamins and minerals, fibre and fats. Opt for a complete recipe, that will have all these nutrients carefully balanced. Whether that be a dry food, wet food, or both mixed together.
Don't forget it's not just what they eat, but how much of it. So make sure you're regularly checking their body conditions core, and adjusting their feeding amount accordingly. Especially if they're particularly active pooches!
Scrumbles, the Pawfect Food for Border Collies
To ensure you are keeping your Border Collie's brainpower shining bright, a balanced and nutrient-packed diet is required. Our specially formulated recipes are tailored to meet the unique dietary needs of these geniuses. With natural, high-quality ingredients and no nasties added, our dry and wet food provides the ideal nutrition for your brainy Border Collie to flourish!
Our gut-friendly recipes are designed by nutritionists and approved by vets to suit the needs of all dogs, irrespective of breed or life stage. We carefully balance our nutrients, and go one-step further, adding gut-friendly goodies like pre or probiotics. Here's why our food is pawfect for Border Collies:
- Gut-friendly pre or probiotics - Good overall health starts in the gut, which is why we add pre or probiotics for healthy digestion, immune function, and those all-important pretty poops!
- All-natural ingredients - We avoid artificial nasties, sticking to tasty ingredients like Chicken and Carrots, which are easier to digest, and don't cause mayhem with your pooch's microbiome.
- Plenty of meat or fish - Our recipes are packed with up to 70% meat or fish, providing all the vital amino acids your Border Collie needs for all those zoomies. As well as omega oils to keep that coat glossy and thick.
- Clearly names ingredients - We clearly name all our ingredients, never grouping them under vague terms like "animal derrivitives" so you can be sure of what goes in, and what stays out.
- Hypoallergenic — We avoid the common allergens gluten, soy, dairy, egg, and red meat from all our recipes so they're gentle on extra sensitive tums. We also offer chicken free and grain free options for those who need some extra TLC.
- Bowl-lickingly Yum—Even the most discerning doggy's will be begging for more Scrumbles come dinner time. With over 4k five star reviews from happy pooches across the country.
So there you have it – the scoop on Border Collies, from their genius-level intellect to their unique dietary needs. These four-legged Einsteins are more than just clever canines; they're loyal companions ready to conquer the world, one brain-teasing challenge at a time!