Enigmatic | Intelligent | Big Ears. In the realm of canine companionship, few breeds command as much respect and admiration as the regal and versatile German Shepherd Dog. Enigmatic, intelligent, and possessing an unparalleled work ethic, these magnificent creatures have etched their paw prints into the hearts of dog lovers worldwide. From their fascinating origins steeped in heritage to their undeniable physical prowess and remarkable personalities, these dogs encapsulate a blend of elegance and utility that's truly unparalleled, so buckle up as we delve in.
German Shepherd Basics
Average Lifespan: 9-13 years
Average Weight: 22- 40 Kgs
Average Height: 55-65 Cm
Colouring: Can vary but usually, Black or black saddle with tan, or gold to light grey markings
Trainability: These Dogs are easy to train due to high intelligence.
Exercise Needs: Need at least 2 yours a day.
Shedding: Constantly all year round
Origins of German Shepherd
German Shepherds were initially bred in the late 19th century in Germany, primarily for herding sheep. It was a Mr Max Von Stephanitz who originally stumbled across the breed, coming across a fine fellow named Hektor whilst at a dog show. He believed the pooch had every quality needed for the pawfect working dog, and purchased Hektor right there and then. Changing his name to Horand von Grafrath (try shouting that in the park), and establishing the Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde (Society for the German Shepherd Dog). And just like that the first German Shepherd Dog was born.
Their versatility and exceptional traits quickly made them popular for various roles, including police work, search and rescue, and even as guide dogs. So, Horand got busy quickly, and was the father to many a pup.
What do German Shepherds Look like?
Picture this: a sturdy, athletic body, long square-ct muzzle (all the better for sniffing with), and strong scissor-like jaw. They're large sizes dogs, coming up between 55 and 65cm tall, with females 22-23 kg and males a little heavier at 30-40kg.
Alsatians have a luxurious double coat, making them the pawfect winter snuggle buddy. The outer coat sheds all year round, and the undercoat is thick and dense, helping them stay snoogily whilst out on adventures. They can be a variety of colours, and boast a coat that can be either short or long. The typical colourings include shades of Black and Tan, or Red and Black. These colours come in different patterns, such as Blanket Black, Sable, Bi-colour and Saddle Back.
German Shepherd Personality
Personality-wise, German Shepherds are a breed apart. Their intelligence is off the charts, making them highly trainable and eager to learn new tasks. In fact, they're ranked third for intelligence, just behind Border Collies and Poodles. Their loyalty to their family also knows no bounds, and their protective instincts make them excellent guardians.
Are German Shepherds Healthy Dogs?
When it comes to health, German Shepherds are generally robust dogs. However, like any breed, they may be prone to certain health issues, such as hip dysplasia, arthritis, ear infections, and digestive problems. Regular vet check-ups and a balanced diet are crucial for their overall well-being. As they get older, it may be worth looking for a food containing added joint care to help prevent issues like this.
German Shepherd Feeding Requirements
Due to their active lifestyle and brainy prowess, German Shepherds require a nutrient dense diet and fair amount of fud! This should include quality proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Opt for a complete recipe to ensure all these nutrients are properly balanced, whether it's a dry food, wet food or mixed.
Due to their sensitive tums, and risk of hip dysplasia, looking for extra gut-friendly goodies in the food like
Scrumbles, the Pawfect Food for German Shepherds
Luckily, we've got just the suggestions - Scrumbles! Our range of dog food is carefully crafted with natural ingredients, added pre or probiotics and up to 70% meat or fish. Whether it's our grain-free wet food recipes or probiotic-packed dry food, we've got your German Shepherd's dietary requirements covered!
Here's why our food is pawfect for German Shepherds:
- Gut-friendly pre or probiotics - Good overall health starts in the gut, which is why we add pre or probiotics for healthy digestion, immune function, and those all-important pretty poops!
- All-natural ingredients - We avoid artificial nasties, sticking to tasty ingredients like Chicken and Carrots, which are easier to digest, and don't cause mayhem with your pooch's microbiome.
- Plenty of meat or fish - Our recipes are packed with up to 70% meat or fish, providing all the vital amino acids your German Shepherds needs for all those zoomies. As well as omega oils to keep that coat glossy and thick.
- Clearly names ingredients - We clearly name all our ingredients, never grouping them under vague terms like "animal derrivitives" so you can be sure of what goes in, and what stays out.
- Hypoallergenic — We avoid the common allergens gluten, soy, dairy, egg, and red meat from all our recipes so they're gentle on extra sensitive tums. We also offer chicken free and grain free options for those who need some extra TLC.
- Bowl-lickingly Yum—Even the most discerning doggy's will be begging for more Scrumbles come dinner time. With over 4k five star reviews from happy pooches across the country.
So there you have it – the summary on German Shepherds, from their Intelligence to their dietary needs. These four-legged Einsteins are more than just clever canines; they're loyal companions ready to conquer the world, one brain-teasing challenge at a time!